Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Divide & Conquer: The Mall

I try not to take fashion too seriously. After all, it's supposed to be fun! And it is for me. But when it comes to a trip to the Natick Collection, I need to have a game plan. JC and I making a trip to Massachusetts' colossal mall today after work–and it's really easy to get overwhelmed here. They have every store you can think of; from Neimans and Nordstrom to Burberry and Louis Vuitton to Madewell and Urban Outfitters. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to buy a Louis Vuitton speedy today (I wish). But there are so many store options and you only have so much time. Additionally, I don't make it to the mall anymore as much as I used to, or I'd like to. I've started to put together a system for my shopping trips . . . maybe it'll be helpful to other people too!

1. Make a list of what you're looking for.
It may seem obvious, but it helps to keep a list of what you need to buy. I make one mostly so I don't get carried away and forget what I came for! Here's a look at today's list:




2. Look up the store directory ahead of time.
I always do this. Unless I'm going to my hometown mall (where I know all the stores and their locations by heart), it helps to know exactly what stores are at the mall I'm going to and roughly where they're located. When it comes to the Natick Collection, theres a gagillion stores and it's a huge place. This helps me pinpoint which stores I definitely want to go in (for ex: Madewell, which I never get to shop in person) and which ones might have what I'm looking for (for ex: aerie will have a strapless bra). I can also tell which sections of the mall I'll avoid so I don't waste time.

3. Browse online before you go.
This might be a little over the top, but I like to check out the selection a bit online. It's not a sure thing, since stores will have some different product than the website. But sometimes you see something online that you could miss in the store! You can also compare prices since those can differ as well. This also helps me to narrow down which stores I want to go to even more. For example, American Eagle can be hit or miss for me (lately it's been a hit!). When I browsed online, I saw a lot of cute stuff and a lot of great sales, so I know I'll definitely be stopping there.
I love the colors in this open-back dress. Plus, it's on sale for $40! See it online.






4. Get more detailed.
You're probably starting to think I'm a crazy person now. So, stop here if you don't obsess over mall trips as much as I do–it shows how little I actually make it to a real store! With the info I have from step #2 and #3, I can make my shopping list even more detailed. I can start pinpointing what store has or might have what I'm looking for. I've almost got it down to a science! Here's my list in more detail:
As you can see, I have a few stores that I'm feeling pretty good about. It might seem like an over-the-top process, but it definitely helps me personally. Chances are, there will be some surprises along the way too!



xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment